Source: Press TV, 11-12-2008
Iran's permanent representative at the United Nations condemns the double standard approach to terrorism pursued by Western countries.
Mohammad Khazaei addressed a United Nations session on Wednesday, suggesting that the Western countries have used the 'war on terror' as a guise to achieve their own political aims while pursuing a double standard policy on the issue.
"A global and coordinated effort led by UN is needed to uproot terrorism," he said, condemning efforts to legitimize the activities of anti-Iran terrorist groups.
The Mujahedin Khalq Organization (MKO) has committed terrorist acts against both Iranian and Iraqi nationals and remains banned by the European Union and the United States. In a recent move, however, Britain removed the MKO from its blacklist of terror organizations.
The UK initiative has prompted the European Union to establish relations with the exiled organization now based in Paris. An EU court ruled earlier in December that the block had been wrong to freeze the funds of the banned (MKO) terrorist group.
The Luxembourg-based Court of First Instance also urged the European Union to take the name of the group off its terror list or to request an appeal over the decision.
The MKO is an exiled cult-like organization that resorts to terrorism to destabilize the Iranian government.
The Iranian UN envoy deplored the move as politically motivated, irresponsible, unjustified and in flagrant violation of Security Council resolutions on fighting terrorism.
On Monday, Iran's Foreign Ministry also condemned the court decision to un-freeze MKO assets in Europe.
"No change has been made to the nature of this cult, they are the same people with the same ideology and manifestation," said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hassan Qashqavi.